/* ----------------------------------------------- Blogger Template Style Name: Rounders 3 Designer: Douglas Bowman URL: www.stopdesign.com Date: 27 Feb 2004 ----------------------------------------------- */
Google

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Why do you hate Kent Hovind?

I promise this will be my last post on this topic for at least 8.5 years. People have been asking me "Why do you hate Kent Hovind so much?" The assertion that I 'hate' Hovind is based on creationist logic. In fact, what I support is the proper punishment of criminals. I do believe the mantra "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time". Too often criminals get suspended sentences, ridiculously short sentences or parole. These criminals then turn around and repeat the crime.
I don't much care for taxes, but the law states that I must pay taxes so I do. I am fighting to change the tax laws, legally. I write my congressman, I support fair tax legislation and I push for change via legal methods. Hovind could have done the same. Instead he flaunted the laws and taunted the IRS. Hovind spits in the face of the very freedoms that allow him to peddle his nonsense across the country and make a buck doing it. Hovind did the crime, now he must face the time.
I won't deny that getting Hovind off the street is good for education in America. Every lecture that he gives and every child who is forced to sit and listen to his creationist claptrap left his seminars that much dumber. Getting Hovind off the street is also good for Christianity. If Christianity is to survive as a religion then it needs salespeople other than Kent Hovind. Augustine of Hippo was correct when he noted:

"For that reason, as I have noted repeatedly, if anyone, not understanding the mode of divine eloquence, should find something about these matters [about the physical universe] in our books, or hear of the same from those books, of such a kind that it seems to be at variance with the perceptions of his own rational faculties, let him believe that these other things are in no way necessary to the admonitions or accounts or predictions of the scriptures. In short, it must be said that our authors knew the truth about the nature of the skies, but it was not the intention of the Spirit of God, who spoke through them, to teach men anything that would not be of use to them for their salvation"
.

Hovind was a master of making up science as he went along. Hovind believes that anything is fair game as long as it leads others in the direction of his line of thinking. Sadly, it seems that a lot of people are still buying into his litany of lies. Don't believe me? Follow this link to video proof!

Augustine also said "Hate the sin, love the sinner". Regardless of its religious origins, this statement is also humanistic in its approach. So, I don't hate Kent Hovind, but I dislike what he stands for (peddling religion as science and science as religion). We should also not forget why he is in prison. He is in prison not because of his daffy religious beliefs. He is not imprisoned because he thinks the Flinstones is accurate history. He is not imprisoned because of his failure to understand basic physics, chemistry, biology, geology or theology. He is not imprisoned for selling fantasy videos and pamphlets. He is in prison because he broke the law. Yes, Virginia, it really is that simple.

Listen to this tape of Hovind (he's a criminal)

Cheers

Joe Meert

8 Comments:

At 8:43 PM, Blogger dogscratcher said...

"He is in prison not because of his daffy religious beliefs."

Except in his warped mind, his daffy religous beliefs justify his tax evasion.

"He is in prison because he broke the law."

This seems hard for a lot of folk to grasp. Whether the law is just or not, you break it, you buy it.

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

well, twisted minds do twisted things.

Cheers

Joe Meert

 
At 10:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's all relative. In the end, we answer for ourselves.

 
At 7:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a problem with your AIM where you say: "My research is aimed at demonstrating the utter lunacy of young earth creationism".
Doesn't Rational thinking involve figuring out how you could be wrong, and weighing the probabilities?
If you have a preconceived answer to your question then your research will be biased to prove yourself right.

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

he never said religion was science and science was religion...all he said was evolution is religion. His religion (Christianity) stayed a religion, and he has admitted many times that it takes faith...

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

and he's an idiot for making such an assertion. Science in general, and evolution in particular have no resemblance to religions despite the convicted tax cheats assertions.

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Anonymous,

I suggest spell check. Creationists thrive on ignorant people who can't spell. Nevertheless, you sound like a Hovind parrot. Science does not claim life came from a rock. Of course, it's funny how you are so against the idea considering the bible says we came from dirt. If I had a choice, I'd come from a rock rather than dirt.

 
At 10:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey

I am a moron, my IQ was never tested in the top 10% ever recorded at my institution of higher idiotization. I did not graduate with degrees in engineering and physics with accompanying business minor. I explain evolution to my kids as follows:

nothing nowhere exploded
it turned into something somewhere
which turned into a lot more things
which became sun and earth
than acid rained on the rocks
and then
frog and then
dog and then
sam

cheers

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page