/* ----------------------------------------------- Blogger Template Style Name: Rounders 3 Designer: Douglas Bowman URL: www.stopdesign.com Date: 27 Feb 2004 ----------------------------------------------- */
Google

Monday, January 08, 2007

Grand Canyon Redux

An alert reader informed me that the Grand Canyon Association (the not for profit seller of materials) is selling "Grand Canyon: A different view" under the heading of Natural History. That changes my position on this issue. I have sent the following letter to the Grand Canyon Association and encourage others to follow suit:

Dear GCA,

I'm writing this note to encourage you to take some action regarding the sale of Vail's book 'Grand Canyon: A Different View". Unlike most, I don't object to the sale of the book per se, but rather your listing of the book under the heading of 'Natural History'. The book attributes the formation of the Canyon to a supernatural event (God's cursed flood) and therefore it is not 'Natural'. Furthermore, the study of geology demonstrated over 150 years ago that the sedimentary record (including that found in the Grand Canyon) is not compatible with a global flood. Hence, the geology shows us that the view espoused by these authors is not 'history' either. I am encouraging my colleagues to write to you to have this book reclassified under 'Inspiration' or 'Spirituality' because that is more in line with the message of the book.

their e-mail address is: gcassociation@grandcanyon.org

and hopefully this problem is now settled. I received the following response:

Professor Meert,

I completely agree. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. This title was approved as an inspirational title and should not ever be listed in the science or Natural History sections whether online or within our outlets. I was completely unaware of this error and will assure you that it will be corrected immediately.


Looking through the site, the book is no longer listed under Natural History selections.

Cheers

Joe Meert

5 Comments:

At 5:49 PM, Blogger dogscratcher said...

Thanks for taking care of that: I was just about to send an email too, and thanks to the GCA for being so responsive. You are too quick.

 
At 7:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, thanks for taking action on this! Great work. Loved the letter and response. Just goes to show it's possible to affect change.

 
At 1:05 AM, Blogger dogscratcher said...

The brouhaha isn't over yet:

http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/07-01-10.html

 
At 8:11 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, I e-mailed Don Prothero. We'll see how this all pans out.

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger dogscratcher said...

I swear, I'm coming to you with every problem I have. Do you do taxes? You are a man who gets things done. I am in awe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page