/* ----------------------------------------------- Blogger Template Style Name: Rounders 3 Designer: Douglas Bowman URL: www.stopdesign.com Date: 27 Feb 2004 ----------------------------------------------- */
Google

Monday, February 19, 2007

Talk Radio Evolution

On my way home from Washington, i found a copy of a Pittsburgh paper and lo and behold, our little controversy had hit the columnist page. The column is authored by Humes (who wrote Monkey girl) and introduceme to a phrase called 'Talk Radio Evolution'. I found the article online and it's well worth a read.

here is the introduction

When I first arrived at the Ronald Reagan Federal Building and Courthouse in Harrisburg for what was billed as the second coming of the Scopes "monkey trial," a man mingling with the media gaggle handed me an invitation to a lecture titled "Why Evolution Is Stupid."

The fellow advised me to come hear the truth about Charles Darwin's dangerous idea. Then he jerked a thumb toward the courtroom and said, "You're sure not going to hear it in there."

I had gone to Harrisburg just over a year ago to research a book, expecting cutting-edge arguments for the theory of evolution pitted against an upstart movement called "intelligent design," which claims there is evidence of a master designer inside living cells. And hear them I did, in frequently riveting (and occasionally stupefying) detail, as the judge considered whether teaching intelligent design in public schools breached the wall separating church and state.

And yet that invitation and the angry, volatile town meeting it led me to that week proved even more enlightening. It showed me an essential truth of the culture wars in the United States that seemed especially relevant last week (Darwin's 198th birthday was Monday): There are really two theories of evolution. There is the genuine scientific theory and there is the talk-radio pretend version, designed not to enlighten but to deceive and enrage.


The remainder of the article can be read here.

Now, I'm afraid I'm going to be reading this as soon as I finish The God Delusion. Does "Books a Million" ever toss people out for being cheap? Oh well, my cheapness may soon end as I've put in for testing as the father of Anna Nicole's baby.


Cheers

Joe Meert

2 Comments:

At 12:50 PM, Blogger dogscratcher said...

Joe,
Do you know of a concise "definition" of the "scientific version of evolution?" It seems to me it should be relatively easy to point to the differences if such a definition is available. Or is evolution simply too complex (how is that for an oxymoron?)

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

The simple definition of biological evolution is 'a change in Allele frequency over time'. Some people find that extremely offensive.

Cheers

Joe Meert

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page